Thursday, June 25, 2015

Back on the grid!

We lost cell service shortly after going offshore.  Todd said that he was still texting until midnight, but the success rate became less and less until it just drpoped off completely around 12 miles offshore.

We're aware of the stress that not knowing causes our friends and loved ones after being out of the constant contact mode that we're used to these days, so we're doing our best to mneuver close enough to a well-popuated shoreline to get cell coverage.  It's 0930 Thursday morning, and even though we've hit our mark at the time planned, we apparently overestimated the cell coverage in this area.  We're off Hilton Head about 15 miles without coverage, but we've turned to angle closer to the coast while continuing homeward until we can do a data dump and let everyone know that we're doing great.

After noon today will mark 2 days underway, 3 quarters of that out of contact, and everything - absolutely EVERYTHING - is going great.  The crew has settled into the 4-on/4-off watch rotation, and the boat is performing as we knew she could, even though the owner is still learning how she works.

With a 4-on/4-off schedule, everybody has stood several watches by now.  All of us are getting sleep when we can, but we'll all be tired when this is done.  Each person on the crew has found their niche, talent, or area of interest and is focused on that area, keeping everyone else informed of what's going on.  For example, I try to do most of the engine room checks, because I've spent the most time down there and will know before anyone else when something's not right.  While I may take short naps throughout the day, I'm keyed to go down to the engine room every two hours.  I note what I find each time I check so that anyone can see what's been going on in my area, and everyone else has been down to the engine room with me, so they know generally what to look for, where to find it, and how to record it.  Everyone else is doing simalarly but focused on their "thing."

We're planning to pull into Beaufort, NC, Friday afternoon.  Todd's girfriend, Danielle, will meet us there.  Todd will definitely leave with Danielle at that time, but I'm not sure what Scott's plans are.  He may elect to leave then or continue on with Chuck and me until a later stopping point.  That will all be worked out with family before we get to Beaufort.

Now that our AIS is working and we've been in the system for a few days, you can use an application like Boat Watch or Ship Finder to locate us.  I don't know anything about them, so I'm not recommending either one, but try them out yourself.  Branwen's call sign is WDH9878.

We've been connected for a few hours, but I've had my own personal connectivity issues.  Sorry there aren't photos, but I'm anxious to get this sent and will add pictures later when I have my personal problems resolved.

Greg.

3 comments:

  1. Tried the free versions of both apps you mentioned. Can't do much in Ship Finder. Boat Watch found a Branwen over in the Pacific. Couldn't locate you by the call sign. Boat Watch has a sister app called Boat Beacon. It allows you transmit your location using AIS, so others can follow you in Boat Watch. At least that's my interpretation of the description.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried a couple of the apps and decided I liked the Marine Traffic best. It is free on the Web, but was $4.59 for android. Certainly helped my peace of mind when I could still see you moving after we lost cell phone connectivity. After we lost the AIS signal I paid an extra 99 cents so I could set up a route from your last known position to give me a better feel for when you would get to Beaufort...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete